Guide: How to study in Finland in English

Guide: How to study in Finland in English

Finland is an excellent destination for international students. It boasts approximately 40 universities that offer study programs in English, encompassing a wide range of over 600 subjects. If you are considering studying abroad in Finland and prefer to study in English, this comprehensive guide will assist you in addressing all the essential questions.

- What subjects can I study in Finland?

Finnish universities have expanded their range of study programmes offered in English to attract more international students. With over 600 study programmes available at the Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctorate levels, and the number increasing each year, students can now explore a wide variety of subjects including Business, Engineering, Computer Science, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, Medicine, and Law. Rest assured, you can find an English-taught study option for virtually any academic subject in Finland.

- Are there tuition fees at universities in Finland?

There are no tuition fees for individuals who are citizens of countries in the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA), or Switzerland. If you hold citizenship in one of these countries, you have the opportunity to study without any charges.

However, if you are not a citizen of the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, you will be categorized as an “international student.” In this case, you may be required to pay tuition fees, although there are certain exceptions. These fees typically range from 6,000 EUR to 18,000 EUR per year, depending on the university and the specific study program you choose.

- Do I need to have IELTS or TOEFL to study in Finland?

To gain admission to a study program conducted in English in Finland, it is necessary to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. However, taking standardized tests like IELTS or TOEFL is not mandatory. The following criteria usually suffice to showcase sufficient English language skills:

1. Being a native English speaker
2. Having completed a previous academic degree taught in English at a university located in the EU/EEA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the United States of America.
3. Finnish universities may also consider applicants who have completed part of their academic degree in English at a Finnish university or university of applied sciences.

If the aforementioned criteria are not met, it is likely that an English proficiency test will be required as proof of language skills. It is important to take the test well in advance of the university application deadline to ensure sufficient time for obtaining the results.

- What English tests do universities in Finland accept?

Every university in Finland accepts IELTS Academic, as well as TOEFL iBT or PBT. Additionally, almost all universities also accept the Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic), the Cambridge ESOL’s Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), or the Cambridge ESOL’s Certificate in Advanced English (CAE). If you still need to take a test, IELTS and TOEFL are the safest options. However, it is advisable to check with the International Office or the Admissions Office of the universities you wish to apply to.

- What TOEFL or IELTS test scores do I need to study in Finland in English?

- Are there other admission criteria to study in Finland?

If you are planning to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Finland, it may be necessary for you to take the SAT test, especially when applying to a university of applied sciences (UAS). Originally an American test, the SAT is now offered worldwide. The minimum SAT score required for admission varies depending on the university and the study program.

Some study programs may also have additional specific admission criteria. For Master’s programs, you might need to have earned a certain number of credit points (ECTS) in relevant academic subjects, possess previous work experience in the field, or achieve a specific GMAT or GRE score. In some cases, you may also be required to participate in interviews with the university’s admissions officers. You can find detailed information provided by the universities themselves on these matters.

- Do I need to know or speak any Finnish when studying in Finland?

Do you dream of studying in Finland? Great news! You don’t need to speak Finnish to be an international student in Finland. That’s right – your chosen study programme will be taught in English.

You’ll get by just fine with English as most Finnish people speak it very well, especially the younger generations. They’ll even be eager to practice their English skills with you! So, don’t worry about not knowing Finnish and enjoy your time in Finland.

However, remember that studying abroad is a great opportunity to gain new experiences, and learning a foreign language is one of them. Most universities in Finland offer Finnish courses for international students, so take advantage of that and enroll in a few basic lessons. You never know, you might end up loving the Finnish language!